Development and training


Economic Development and Funding Programs  |  Training, Educational Programs and Resources

Educational Institutions - Online Resources  |  Frequently Asked Questions

Development And Training Home Page


      Nunavut Arctic College Learning Centre in Chesterfield Inlet

Question: What are my career options with a 'HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA' versus my career options 'WITHOUT A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA'?

Answer: For further information, we suggest you talk to your local school Guidance Counsellor/your Teacher or visit the local Nunavut Arctic College for information. You can also visit an agency that offers Education and Career Counselling services such as:

Question: Where can I get information/applications about student financial assistance/grants?

Answer: The Nunavut Beneficiaries Scholarships Program may be available for some students along with the FANS program and the NTI Memorial Scholarship. Download the Nunavut Beneficiaries Scholarships Program application form and the Jose Amanujaq Kusugak Memorial Scholarship application. For further information about Grant programs contact or visit the Department of Education or the local Nunavut Arctic College Learning Centre in Chesterfield Inlet. Phone: (867) 898-9048 or Fax: (867) 898-9101 .

Question: Where can I get information about student residences?

Answer: For information about student residences contact the Student Services Centre or the Student Association for the respective campus. Often information can be found on their web site. Links to many of university and college web sites can be found here.

Question: Who can I contact about campus programs and/or How to Apply for a program?

Answer: Complete the educational institution's application forms for the programs or courses you want to apply for. Often these forms can be downloaded from their web site or at your request, sent out by mail from their registrar's office. Submit the completed application to the campus or community learning centre in Nunavut (or outside of Nunavut) that offers the programs or courses. Many programs or courses are filled on a first come first serve basis and it is advisable to apply as early as possible on or before the due date.

Question: Where can I get information about 'High School - General/Academic' upgrading Equivalency and 'College/University' preparation Courses, on a Full or Part-time basis?

Answer: High School 'General' or 'Academic' upgrading equivalency and College/University preparation courses are offered at various 'Colleges' or at other 'Educational Institutions'. As a sample, here is the Academic Upgrading Courses Chart from Alberta. Also, view the Aboriginal Upgrading Programs - High School Credit courses Programs offered (Alberta).

Other college campuses that offer high school credits to finish high school equivalency or to qualify for a Career Training Program or to attain high school diploma/continuing education and then to prepare for a career are: - Red River College - Continuing Education or Algonquin College - Career & Academic Access Centre - Woodroffe. Visit these two sites for more information.

Question: How do I transfer my post-secondary/institutional credits?

Answer: The applicant with high school or post-secondary education credits must make arrangements with the schools where they studied to have a copy of their transcripts mailed to the new school or campus they are registering with. Submit an application form to transfer your credit(s) or request a challenge credit form from the campus.

Question: I need to speak with a Student Counsellor - who can I speak to?

Answer: All Universities and Colleges have a Student Services/Counselling department, which will be able to assist you with your questions and concerns. This includes counselling on programs and courses, financial aid, scholarships, bursaries, awards, academic advice, tutoring, etc..